Friday, August 20, 2010

Enjoying the Splendors of Summer


Summer is officially here in Oakland and as its been said, "the livin's easy" (I guess it has been summer here for a while now, but we haven't really been home enough to enjoy it). And now that we've finally arrived at the point in the season when all the hard work and preparations we made throughout the spring have come into fruition, I don't mind giving myself a pat on the back for going through all the trouble. The real reward of course is what is gathered on an almost daily basis - as shown in the picture above, and if you happen to have your own garden (no matter what size), I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about.


And since this is the time of year in which we all delight in the affirmation of our work, understanding more than ever why it is we planted a garden in the first place, I suggest that we all seize the moment by spreading the gospel a bit. After all, can anyone think of a better advertisement for home gardening than a vine-ripened, heirloom tomato in August? (Let's face it, that ad writes itself). So please bring a friend over in order to show off a bit, or even better, give some of your freshly picked green beans to a neighbor. I promise that next summer they will be more than happy to return the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment